Newbie What extrusion should I use to build a cnc table?

Thread: What extrusion should I use to build a cnc table?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What extrusion should I use to build a cnc table?

I',m considering to setup a table for my cnc machine using 8020 inc. t-slot extrusions (15 series). Is that strong enough for holding and cutting 1/2" aluminum? I'll appreciate your response. Thank you

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

What size table are you thinking about?

Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm gonna go with 3060 extrusion...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your responses. The size of the table will be 15" by 36.250.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by EKFER View Post
    I',m considering to setup a table for my cnc machine using 8020 inc. t-slot extrusions (15 series). Is that strong enough for holding and cutting 1/2" aluminum? I'll appreciate your response. Thank you
    Hi Ekfer,
    I'am at the stage where I have my ballscrews, rails and bearings and doing my design. My MC will have 1100mm x 750mm x 300mm ball screws to cut wood and
    aluminium. I think you need bigger sections because this gives greater stiffness and better accuracy. I am using 40x80 (heavy) sections (4 kg/m density) and 120x40 (heavy) section for the y axis gantry section to support the Z axis. I will be using 15mm aluminium toolplate for the gantry sides and end plates. With 3.1nm steppers (427oz) this sould be plenty to mill aluminium to a good accuracy (0.01mm). On the UK mycnc forum there are some useful design spreadsheets to work out the deflection for a given load and box section size.

Hope this heps
    Mike

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What extrusion should I use to build a cnc table?-my_cnc_4j-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The main consideration I have is to maintain a low profile while, at the same time be able to clamp on both sides. How about a 1/2 x 15" x 36.250" anodized aluminum plate with threaded holes? Who makes them?

Downloads
    Uploads

Friends, I read from Bear5k today that Misumi has a heavier extrusion at a better price. I'll look into it. Again, thank you all for your assistance and recomendations.

Downloads
    Uploads

Techno Inc. has exactly what I'm looking for (HEAVY DUTY EXTRUSION TABLE PLATE 20375). However, at US $341.00 it is beyond my purchase ability. I'll keep looking. Or, if you find an alternative , please let me know. Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Faztek

Have you given Faztek.net or Faztek.ca a try? They seem to be less "busy" than 80/20, and will spend the time to make sure that you get what you need.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TNUTZ View Post
    Have you given Faztek.net or Faztek.ca a try? They seem to be less "busy" than 80/20, and will spend the time to make sure that you get what you need.
    Do you deal with 80/20 directly or through a distributor? I have had excellent service through my local distributor, granted my projects are normally $2-5k so I'm sure that helps.

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Do you deal with 80/20 directly or through a distributor? I have had excellent service through my local distributor, granted my projects are normally $2-5k so I'm sure that helps.

Matt
    As far as I know, you cannot buy direct from 80/20, so you are stuck with the local distributor. For many small "dollar" jobs, you don't always get the service.