5T Operating Instructions FAQ /Q&A - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5T Operating Instructions FAQ /Q&A

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tape horizontal parity error on 5T

John,

I have had that error come up for different reasons, fist when I set up the BTR, but most of the time it is when I have some math wrong in circular interpolation, at least that's what it seems to be, one would think the circular interpolation error would come up, and it does in the right circumstances, but when I get the numbers right the horizontal parity error goes away. Hope this helps.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by john-shipman@ho View Post
    I baught the AMI card and am running hyperterminal but when I try to send information to the mori it brings up error on "tape parity horizontal" is that a problem with the baude rate? I have card set at 9600,7,E,2 is that what the machine will run on?

Downloads
    Uploads

The TH alarm usually means that you're trying to send the control an ASCII character that it does not recognize. Here are some characters that can trigger the TH alarm:

The letter "O" or the colon ( character. These are program ID characters only recognized by later model Fanucs like the system 6.

ANY lower-case letter, whether it's inside or outside of the parentheses ( ) marks

The parentheses marks (Fanuc 5s can not accept comments in parentheses)

Any non-iso punctuation mark, like ! @ # $ ^ & * ( ) + ? < > ; { } [ ]

A decimal point (Fanuc 5s can not use decimal point programming)

Does this give you any clues?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default popping spark /surge protectors on sl3a

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fritz View Post
    Dougbeast: Before you go much further, check the jumpers on the servo and the CNC power transformers. These jumpers are used to adjust for your shop's line voltage, and every time a machine gets moved to a new shop, you're line voltage is likely to be different.

Inside the CNC cabinet (near the power supply) there should be a single-phase transformer with a set of taps for line voltages of 190 to 550vac. This transformer has secondaries (outputs) of 100 and 200vac. Measure the outputs and see how close they are to 100 and 200 volts. If they're more than 5% low or high, you may want to change the taps so they are closer to their intended voltage. In Japan, the "standard" voltages are 100v and 200v, and the transformer is designed to give the CNCs power supply the right stuff.

Also, somewhere near the servo amplifiers, is a larger 3-phase transformer with multiple taps. These jumpers can also be adjusted to give the servos what they need as an input voltage. Chances are, the servo transformer will be jumpered for the same line voltage as the CNC power transformer, so if you have to adjust the small single-phase transformer, you'll probably have to adjust the servo transformer as well.

Making the servos run smoothy on a Fanuc 5 requires a bit of work (with a voltmeter and an oscilloscope), but the results are well worth it. If a servo makes any noises other than a nice "hum" as it moves, then you need to look into things. A lot of machines have ballscrew covers or way covers that make funny noises, but those are not worth worrying about unless they're binding somehow.

One common problem on these old SCR servos was having a blown fuse, which would cause the servo to run on a single phase (sounds rough, and does not have much torque). The 3 "indicator" fuses on the back of each servo amplifier have little "flags" that are suppose to pop up when the fuse blows, but if the flag sticks, the fuse can blow and the control wont' shut it down with an alarm. The result is a servo that runs on a single phase.

As with any used machine, DOUBLE CHECK to be sure the way lube is getting to the right places, and that the ballscrews and nuts are being properly lubed also. Clogged lube lines are a real problem in used machines.

For servo tuning on a 5T/5M, I'll be glad to write up the procedure, but it does take some skill and a few basic tools, including an oscilloscope.
    Hi Dan.I am blowing these little cans that are plenty pricey.Got some new ones from Mori,but I think I might be doing it again unless I adjust the voltage.Could you please tell me in layman`s terms,how to adjust the voltage for the servos?I've never used a oscilloscope before,but I do have access to one.Thanks,Doug

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the help guys. I am slowly getting there I now have another question. On the address display where all of the letters are, I have 3 LED lights that are always on the "G", "F" and the "A", Is this normal or Is that a possible reason that the manual input isn't working? Am I missing a parameter? is there a reason for them being on?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have just installed the btr from rym on a 5T fanuc controller. I followed all the intsructions and I'm trying to send a simple program to the machine. The problem is i'm not getting any response from the computer when I push cycle start. It seems like there is no communication at all between machine and pc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

First off, be sure that you're using the correct procedure. On the PC-DNC Editor, open any file (I like to make a test program with just a bunch of N-numbers). Then, click the "BTR" menu and select "Send file". A separate box should pop up showing your program. On the CNC control, you select TAPE mode and press CYCLE START. You can do this in SINGLE BLOCK mode if your program is going to actually move the machine. You should see the cursur advance in the BTR box as data is being sent to the Fanuc.

When you press CYCLE START on the 5T control, (if you're in TAPE mode), the tape reader normally clicks in and starts reading a tape. If you have the BTR cable connected, then the same signal that starts the tape reader is used to start feeding data to the CNC.

If the BTR output isn't doing anything when you press CYCLE START, then here's a test you can perform: Re-connect your paper tape reader ribbon cable to the Fanuc 5's "A" board. Then put the control in TAPE mode and press CYCLE START. If you watch the little "shoe" under the tape reader's pinch-roller, you will see it "click" in and try to pinch a tape between the shoe and the roller. You should be able to hear the click, and you should see a small motion in the shoe. The roller itself just spins all the time.

If you hear the click, then press RESET on the control and it should click again (to release the tape). The fact that the tape reader is clicking in and out means that the IC chips on the Fanuc "A" board are working, and the BTR link should be working also. If the tape reader DOES NOT click in & out, thent the CNC either has blown ICs on the A board, or else there is something else that is preventing you from cycle starting. There can be many safety interlocks on these machines, such as door open switches, lube low switches, air pressure switches, etc. Any one of these safety interlocks can prevent the control from cycle starting. If the paper tape reader doesn't click in when you try to CYCLE START, then we need to investigate why.

If the paper tape reader IS clicking in & out OK, then the BTR link has something that's not working right. There are several possibilities:

You might have the address of the parallel printer port set wrong. The normal address for a parallel port LPT1 is hex 0378-037F. There are some PCs out there, however, that use non-standard addresses for the printer port. To find out what address your PC uses, do this:

1) Right-click on the MY COMPUTER icon and select MANAGE
    2) Click DEVICE MANAGER
    3) Click the "+" sign next to "PORTS (COM and LPT)"
    4) Right-click on the parallel port. It might be called "ECP printer port", or something like that
    5) Click PROPERTIES, then click the "RESOURCES" tab

The address used by the parallel port should be shown under "Resources". If the number does not start with "0378", let me know what it is and I'll talk you through the adjustment process in the PC-DNC Editor.

Also, what version of Windows are you running, and what type of PC is this?

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the help Dan. I was able to get it working and am happy with the results so far

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 5T Operating Instructions FAQ /Q&A

Does the 5T store more than one program in memory? Or only one?

If there is only one, is there a quick way to clear it from memory?

Thanks

Nick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12