Need Help! Pratt and Whitney TurnMate - Fanuc 5t

Thread: Pratt and Whitney TurnMate - Fanuc 5t

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pratt and Whitney TurnMate - Fanuc 5t

Greetings everyone, First time posting here. A couple weeks ago I bought a Pratt and Whitney Turnmate with a Fanuc 5t Controller, it came with Manuals and a BTR board. Well turns out the manuals I have are for a Fanuc 3000c controller, Why I got manuals for a Mill with this lathe is beyond me. So first things first, i went out and bought a 15hp Phase Converter, and wired that in plus the machine last night. Flip all three breakers (Main Breaker, Phase Converter on switch, and Breaker on the machine.) Hit the On button and bam, it fires up. Woot! Well now comes the fun part. The back up batteries have Long since died, this machine has been sitting for 13 years form the guy i bought it from, and Who knows how long before he got it. I replaced one of the two batterys with a custom made 4.5v AAA x3 battery pack. But there was only one battery pack in the cabinet. Since I do not have the correct manual for this machine, can some one point me out the battery locations?

I have a sheet that's very faded but readable that claims to have the machine parameters on it. I've tried entering parameters with the switch behind the Display Readout switched to PRG, But the control won't except Any keystrokes, except changing the Address and Numbers. I can't zero the machine, Jog it, nothing, only thing that works is the coolant switch.

So if anyone has any experience or resources they could share with me, that would be Very helpful.

Here are some pictures.

Edit: I found the second battery terminal by trial and error (Luckily One trial and zero error). So Both battery lights are out on the PCB's and the Controller display, only LED lights left are Label Skip which I understand that, so no problem there, and the LED light for the address bar, which moves freely when I press the address keys. Still can't input any data. or Log anything.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pratt and Whitney TurnMate - Fanuc 5t-img_20150529_180043-1-jpg   Pratt and Whitney TurnMate - Fanuc 5t-img_20150531_181709-1-jpg   Pratt and Whitney TurnMate - Fanuc 5t-img_20150531_181730-1-jpg   Pratt and Whitney TurnMate - Fanuc 5t-img_20150531_181950-1-jpg  

Pratt and Whitney TurnMate - Fanuc 5t-img_20150531_181955-1-jpg   Pratt and Whitney TurnMate - Fanuc 5t-img_20150531_182003-1-jpg   Pratt and Whitney TurnMate - Fanuc 5t-img_20150531_182049-1-jpg   Pratt and Whitney TurnMate - Fanuc 5t-img_20150531_182054-1-jpg  

Last edited by Metzenw; 06-07-2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Found Battery

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pratt and Whitney TurnMate - Fanuc 5t

Well, did some more digging today, with what very little I have. I found out that the Ready light needs to come on before anything can be done to the controller/machine, Jogging, entering parameters and such. Looking around the machine on the Lower PCB behind the control panel, there are 5 LED lights, the 3 to the left are labeled as Alarm LED's and the two to the right labeled POS and PEN, when I have the mode nob in Zero Return, I can cycle the turret and these lights go on and off with the stage of the toolchange, so no mystery there. However, one of the Alarm LED's is on, the one all the way to the left labeled SALM. If i hit EStop it goes out. Release EStop it comes back on. I would put money that that's the problem. Sadly I have no manual, anyone have one they can bust out and give me a hand?

Downloads
    Uploads

Controller Died, won't power on, checked every fuse, The SALM led was most likely the Spindle Drive, but the controller died before I could look into it. 95% chance I'm gonna Retrofit this thing to a Centroid, they have a kit that can use Fanuc Black top servo's. And I might be able to reuse the Spindle Drive, might but I might have to get it serviced first. So, If anyone needs/wants Fanuc 5t parts and a Advanced Digital Research BTR Board + Fanuc Adapter. Send me a PM, will give a good price.

Downloads
    Uploads

After some work, here is a couple videos of what has been done.

When it's complete I'll do a write up of what I have done.