Need Help! Scanner, probe data suitable for boat cover canvas templating

Thread: Scanner, probe data suitable for boat cover canvas templating

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Scanner, probe data suitable for boat cover canvas templating

We have used a Proliner for many years to obtain the data we require to design our boat canvas work within 3D cad software. The device has been great but the wire to the probe tip and clean line if sight needed for the wire have always been an issue. Over the years we have looked and trialled various photogammetry, laser and structured light scanners and they have always failed when used in the field.
    Primarily, the highly reflective grp surfaces and lack of reference geometry together with being able to stand far enough away from the object to obtain a large enough area with photogammetry have been issues. Often the boats are on the water and you can not stand far enough away from the superstructure to obtain the data, wide angle lenses had an adverse affect on accuracy.
    Coating the boat with a non reflective powder wouldn’t be an option and the shear amount of coded targets required would also be a problem.
    The only system that looked hopeful was the Mantis, but the acquired data was too large to successfully process and way to time consuming.
    We monitor new technology that comes to market, but advances seem to be mainly focussed on increased accuracy.
    We do not need the high levels of accuracy for what we are doing, more important is portability, working without mains power, and cost affective and robustness to work in an outdoor environment.
    I reckon what would work is cloud data that did not have to be significantly post processed and the ability to use a probe to register points within the cloud data.
    The points would be used to draw curves within the cad package with the cloud data not required for much more that to give a visual representation of the surrounding surfaces. With a proliner we are after all acquiring points, the cloud data would give some context and hopefully a wire to a probe tip wouldn’t be needed.
    We have looked at systems that register led’s on a staff connected to a probe tip but the environment was way to bright for these to register properly.
    I reckon there must be a significant market for such a device, no need for accuracy to fractions of a millimetre and no requirement to process the cloud data.
    Here is a link to a page on our website which gives an idea of what we do.
    3D CAD Showcase - Boat Covers

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Scanner, probe data suitable for boat cover canvas templating

Unfort only just stumbled across this thread.

Just getting into automated cutting with a table on order for delivery late May 16.
    We are more into caravan work, particularly annexes or "Safari rooms" as some Brits I know call them.

Also am looking into suitable ways of digitizing our physical 2D templates, so they can be recreated in exact scale to be used on the cut table. Some of them are curved (naturally not symmetrical) , thus a bit of a pain to simply redraw in a CAD program.

Good luck with your search in finding something more suitable than the Proliner. So far have casually looking into this kind of thing, but it will probably have to wait. The accountant is still in therapy over what the table is costing :-)

Just some random canvas guy

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jatt View Post
    Unfort only just stumbled across this thread.

Just getting into automated cutting with a table on order for delivery late May 16.
    We are more into caravan work, particularly annexes or "Safari rooms" as some Brits I know call them.

Also am looking into suitable ways of digitizing our physical 2D templates, so they can be recreated in exact scale to be used on the cut table. Some of them are curved (naturally not symmetrical) , thus a bit of a pain to simply redraw in a CAD program.

Good luck with your search in finding something more suitable than the Proliner. So far have casually looking into this kind of thing, but it will probably have to wait. The accountant is still in therapy over what the table is costing :-)
    I've been looking at a web cam on the z head to trace patterns for my wife and i's costume business. I believe there are mach3 extensions for tracing that way. Something to look into.

Robi

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Scanner, probe data suitable for boat cover canvas templating

Had'nt thought of that.

If you get something going on that front..... I'm all ears.
    The OEM solution to this is to suspend a camera high up above the table. Of course they said this is only available on their "latest model", not the superceded one I purchased.

A mere 30 odd K more than What I paid!!!!!!

Just some random canvas guy