Need Help! Anyone using kinect, primesense ,asus xtion, Structure Sensor Scanners on Netbook etc

Thread: Anyone using kinect, primesense ,asus xtion, Structure Sensor Scanners on Netbook etc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone using kinect, primesense ,asus xtion, Structure Sensor Scanners on Netbook etc

Hi
    I would like to play with a Kinect Sensor as a scanner , but most seem to use a high powered desktop or laptop,

I want to use a Netbook or tablet to capture the information ( and view it if possible) and then take the file to the high powered desktop and work on it there,

a netbook . tablet can be portable so you can use it anywhere

Also is there any other "low cost" Sensor Scanner that would do a good job on parts that are 1 foot square ?

Most of the YouTube videos are scanning people and 3D printing them , I would like to use it more for pattern making ,

anyway if you do this or can point me to some better YouTube videos etc I would like to learn about them

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone using kinect, primesense ,asus xtion, Structure Sensor Scanners on Netbook

Quote Originally Posted by imperial90303 View Post
    > I would like to play with a Kinect Sensor as a scanner , but most seem to use a high powered desktop or laptop,
    > I want to use a Netbook or tablet to capture the information ( and view it if possible) and then take the file to the high powered desktop and work on it there,
    > a netbook . tablet can be portable so you can use it anywhere

> Also is there any other "low cost" Sensor Scanner that would do a good job on parts that are 1 foot square ?
    > Most of the YouTube videos are scanning people and 3D printing them , I would like to use it more for pattern making ,
    > anyway if you do this or can point me to some better YouTube videos etc I would like to learn about them
    I know this is a kind of old thread, but I have been experimenting with the iSense Scanner from Cubify and might be able to offer some information. This
    is the same as the Structure sensor 3D scanner and uses much of the same software, but requires an Apple iPad or iPad mini that adds to the price if
    you don't already own one. A less expensive version (the Sense) connects to a notebook or laptop that runs Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.8 or later.
    Managing the laptop/notebook with a separate scanner affects the portability.

The best way to get a good overview of the Structure 3D Sensor or Cubify iPad iSense Scanner for iPad is to take a look at:

It does the best job I've seen for showing the capabilities and pitfalls along with an array of software that works with it.

I am still learning, but while I may do some 3D print jobs using the Cubify on-line print service, most of the things I plan to do will be with my Zenbot 12X16 CNC
    using Vectric Cut-3D and Vcarve-Pro.

As you will see if you watch the video mentioned above, this scanner works best for objects that are about 1-foot or larger. I have found a iPad software
    program that works pretty well with objects that are smaller than what are handled by the standard iSense scan software. I can give you more details if you
    want to look into this further.

--Rich