What is on the horizon?

Thread: What is on the horizon?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What is on the horizon?

I am new to the 3d scanning world and have done a bit of research. I want to scan people's heads, like many others seems to. I would like a higher resolution than what it seems like the kinect or carmine is capable of. The cubify Sense doesn't really impress me either.
    I have been waiting to see what the new kinect can do, but Skanect and reconstructme don't really give a sense of when that will be ready. I have looked into building a david scanner, but it seems difficult to calibrate and get good scans that include hair. The subject would need to stay still for a prolonged period of time, even using structured light. I'd also like to be able to transport it to someone, rather than have them come to me.
    The artec eva looks amazing to me, but so does the price tag it comes with. I could see going that route in the future, or hooking up with someone that has it.
    Does anyone know what else is on the horizon? Is there anyone who can begin competing with artec, but at a more modest price?
    Are there services in different cities that do professional head scans? Kind of how photographers offer professional head shots? Anyone here in NYC?
    Thanks for any guidance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What is on the horizon?

3D Systems is talking about a new scanner that will pair up with an Apple I-pad, so it would be more compact than the current Sense plus a laptop. I'm not sure if resolution will be better, but it's possible. Last I heard they were taking pre-orders. Cubify - Express Yourself in 3D

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply. I see your username pop up on a lot of the sites and forums I have visited over the last few months, from 3d scanning to sculpture to cnc. It seems like we have similar interests.

I'm not getting my hopes up with the Cubify. They seem great at releasing marketing material, but many people I have spoken to have been very disappointed both in their printers and the Sense scanner.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I wear many hats too...

The Sense is a pretty good scanner for the price. It does a decent job of capturing full figures, but doesn't get a lot of detail, so it's best used for miniature reproductions. A large turntable helps a lot, since it's difficult to move all the way around the subject smoothly enough not to trigger an error.

Another alternative on the horizon is a Google smartphone-based scanner: https://www.google.com/atap/projecttango/#project At this point, judging from the video, they seem to be concentrating on architectural-scale scanning rather than things as small as heads, but it's not clear if that's due to a hardware limitation or just their idea of what the market wants.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]