Galvo - Galvonometer Discussion

Thread: Galvo - Galvonometer Discussion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Galvo - Galvonometer Discussion

I don't want to make do with a Filament Extrusion machine. I want something a little more accurate and industrial, which means SLA (Stereo Lithography) or SLS (Selective Laser Sintering).

Both of the above ideally require the use of a Galvo system. Two mirrors, each positioned by a motor/driver setup, to direct a laser onto a bed containing a substrate material.

There doesn't seem to be much information on how to control such a system. My main goal at present is to figure out what signal is required by a standard or even a disco lighting galvo, and whether or not I can use what I already know (Stepper signals, and Mach3 etc) to control such a device.

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Basic principle suggests a current controls the galvanometer, like a D'Arsonval meter movement. You would need to make an interface to convert a g-code to current.

Lighting systems often use a DMX protocol A small stepper might work where the "steps" are controlled by say an 8-bit code.

Here a guy uses a loudspeaker as a galvonometer. Arduino Laser Show with Full XY Control

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Someone that hase the samea idea as I

I have two galvo system laser's co2 150W power. The interesting think is, i managed to buy them without the controller pc (the bob who controls the 2 mirrors x,y axis. the motors that controlls the mirror ar servo not stepper, with stepper you don't have the accuracy you will need) After searching for two months without no succes on locating a bob that was compatible with my analog galvonometer, i stuble across a chinese manufacture in galvo systems with a very nice controller who is perfectly capable of controlling all the galvo system's on the market and extra the laser and 4 axis for a small cnc for expending the working area. It hase a dedicate software that works with vector and jpg format's. A and the best thing is the price, the chinese controller is about 850$ and similar profesional controllers on the market ar 3000$ minimum.

Ok. Back to the 3d printer :rainfro: My idea is to make a sls 3d printer system, becaus is more versatile then sla sytems and it can print metals(BIG+)

Power and spec's for laser ar perfect for sls 3d printer's (the profesional printer's work from 50w-200w Co2 laser's)
    The next step for me is the 3 piston's two for powder dispenser and one for z working area + roller for powder movement. Material powder's will be the hardest part of the project becaus ar wery expensiv.

Sry for may gramma, i'm not native

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great, thanks for your input

So I guess my options are:
    1) Find software that will output the right signal for a standard galvo driver board (analogue).
    2) Develop an interface between pc and galvo driver that will convert steps/G-Code to analogue. I'm sure I could develop some PIC software to do that.

I'm going to do a bit more research into software to see what's readily available and whether or not I need to worry about converting mach3 steps to analogue.

Going back to the galvo topic of this thread.. Does anyone have any experience of disco laser lighting galvos? Do they have similar/reliable feedback systems comparable to that of engraving/SLS & SLA machines, that are good enough to use on a SLS or SLA machine?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I managed to start the galvo scanner and it s working perfect, some fine calibration and i m pleased. Regarding the software for this SLS project i made a Big step forward i stumble across a open source laser marking software ( http://www.lasermarkingsoftware.com/ ) that has a slicing future and motion for Z and other axis, digital/analog input and output s. The company that make s the software can implement my galvo control board with all the extra axis.
    I guess the next thing will be the hardware side: Working Area, powder chamber s and roller dispenser + the hardest part Powder material

I will post picture s with the system on next replay

Luci

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Luci,

Reading your post's with interest, congrats!
    Is it possible that you could email me more details in regards to your project. Any details of the Chinese company with the very nice controller? Whis control software are you using the chinese software or the open source software in your most recent post.

If you need assistance with mechanics I am more than willing to assist..

thanks again

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Chinese controller is CSC-USB control board and it is produced by "Sunny Technology", you can search in google for them, Now i'm using the chinese software CSMark the only problem with this software is, it doesn't have a 3D slicing future (if i wanna use it for a 3d printer i need to make the slicing in other software and import them in CSMark one by one). Regarding the open source software BeamConstruct, i just sent a mail to them with the details for implementing my control board.
    I manage to get some very fine plastic powder (i think it's polyamide), next day's i will do some test's.

Will post some pictures with the system and cad for printer chamber next day's.

Steve, tell me what you are planning on doing, you are interested in laser galvo marking or 3d printer's???

Regard's

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Galvo - Galvonometer Discussion

Hey, somebody please suggest me a software for SLS 3D printer with galvo scanner.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, can you send me the details of those galvo scanner controller?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kushvanth View Post
    Hey, can you send me the details of those galvo scanner controller?
    There is another galvo scanner controller on the market that is custom made for SLS and SLA 3d printers. BeamConstruct. Here is the site "www.lasermarkingsoftware.com". You can fiind there controller's and software perfect for 3d Printer's.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If i understand it the right way.
    A 12Bit DAC uses pwm signal like for cnc spindle control.
    Then it converts its 0-5v pwm( digital sine wave ) to 0-10v analog ( plain voltage).
    So if you have a breakout board that supports a addon card like the cnc4pc C6 spindle control.
    you should be able to get one axis working.
    Just cant figure out how you would do the second one.
    Cause if am right mach 3 or 4 does not support 2 or more spindles or am i completly wrong here ??